As modern electricians in Staffordshire we are dedicated to eco-friendly practises whenever possible. Conserving electricity is one of the best things you can do to reduce the costs of living and reduce your impact on the planet. We all know that by installing solar panels you are able to make great returns on your investments and help save the planet, but there are also simpler day to day changes we can all make. Read on if you’d like more information about how you can save energy in your home.
1) Let the natural light shine through. If it’s still day time and you are able to undertake everything you need to without artificial lighting, open your curtains or blinds and let the sun light up your room instead.
2) Turn off your lights when not in use. This seems like the most obvious thing to do but a lot of people still forget to do this. When leaving a room, make sure the lights are turned off.
3) Switch your bulbs. You can replace regular incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent or LED bulbs to save more power.
1) Put on a jumper rather than instantly reaching for the thermostat. If you’re cold, layer up so that you trap warm air inside your clothing – it’s a cheaper alternative.
2) Use less hot water. Try limiting your time in the shower to around five minutes per day. Heating water takes a lot of energy.
3) Insulate your home. Make sure that your home is properly insulated, as you won’t have to spend as much money heating your home.
1) Unplug appliances and electrical equipment when they aren’t in use. Appliances such as TVs still use energy when they are plugged in, even if they are on standby. Turn everything off at the mains to be sure.
2) Switch old for new. A lot of old items can be a drain on energy but there are new technologies that are energy saving. It’s time to upgrade and invest in a more sustainable future.
3) Get creative. If you only have a few plates or cups to clean, do it by hand rather than turning on the dishwasher. Hang clothes outside to dry rather than relying on the tumble dryer. By cutting down our reliance on electrical appliances, we can see amazing results.